[argyllcms] Re: Calculate RAW importer profiles ?

  • From: Giacomo Catenazzi <catecate@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 10:37:30 +0200

Hello,

One important point that it is missing in this discussion: Many programs
that handle photographs need to be consistent on rendering the images, also
after several years. So improvements of color conversion will break such
expectation (or release data of import program should be stored in
sidecars, also when no change is made), OTOH users expect a quick release
of new camera support. And I expect most of photographs will correct
manually the colors: camera settings are not so good. So I think there is
not so huge interest on importing colors as camera will do.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 2:08 AM, Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jul 27, 2015, at 4:50 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think that the first thing anyone wanting to reverse engineer
Nicon's RAW processing would do, is to sit down and write a TIFF->RAW
converter. If that's your intent, don't mess about.

I think Iliah may have done something along those lines. At least,
there're demonstrations in the online documentation for RawDigger made with
synthetic RAW files.

b&