[amc] AMC Update

  • From: Austin Mennonite <austinmennonite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 10:02:08 -0600

With temps in the 20s last night it is beginning to feel a lot like winter
in Austin!  However, I do find warmth in the generosity of the season as I
reflect on the grace of God in Jesus Christ.  I pray that we all find our
hearts "strangely warmed" this Christmas season and that we take advantage
of opportunities to help others.

*Prayer Items from Dec 9:*

   - Dolly and Gloria helped the Windsor Park Neighborhood Association
   (WPNA) celebrate 30 years.
   - Karen and Aaron celebrated their 1 week anniversary.
   - Jared just landed a job at James Madison University as he anticipates
   moving east at the end of the year.
   - Gloria: A guinea pig died at the CDC providing an opportunity to talk
   about death with the children.  A memorial service was held early in the
   week.
   - Thanks, Angie, for the beautiful display at the front of the church -
   rocks, candles, a working water fountain, all on shimmery blue cloth.  (The
   Advent theme is "Flood of mercy.")
   - Several of us worked with MDS at Bastrop on Saturday joining folks
   from Houston Mennonite Church.
   - Ted and Dama returned home after a good trip to Belize.
   - Clarence Bassett is stable.

*Congregational Meeting (December 9, 2012)*

   - Affirmed persons for committees and for the Leadership Board (see
   attached).
   - Accepted a 2011 Financial Report (required to complete an internal
   audit).
   - Approved 2013 budget of $135,112.
   - Approved $3680 payment to wider church agencies.
   - 24 people attended

*Upcoming Events*

   - *Saturday, Dec 15, 10:00 a.m., choir practice at the church.  Worship
   Committee meets after choir practice.*
   - Sunday, Dec 16, 9:30 a.m. - Noon, Sunday school classes and worship -
   Advent 3.
   - Sunday, Dec 16, 3:00 - 9:00 p.m., Christmas fellowship at Bob Koehn's,
   7809 Cheno Cortina Trail.  Bring a holiday snack to share.  Everyone
   welcome.
   - Thursday, Dec 20, 7:00 p.m., women's group at Marcia Miller's, 7619
   Parkview Circle.  Snacks appreciated.
   - Sunday, Dec 23, 9:30 a.m. - Noon, Sunday school classes and worship -
   Advent 4: Choir.
   - Monday, Dec 24, 6:30 p.m., Christmas Eve worship, caroling,
   refreshments.
   - Sunday, Dec 30, 9:30 a.m. - Noon, Sunday school classes and Taize
   worship - First Sunday after Christmas.  High school and adult classes meet
   together to consider resolutions for 2013.

*Item of Interest - article in latest issue of The Mennonite:*
http://www.themennonite.org/issues/15-12/articles/News_Analysis_Christian_Peacemaker_Teams_advocate_for_Kurds

2012-12-03 ISSUE:News Analysis: Christian Peacemaker Teams advocate for
Kurds <2012-12-03 ISSUE: News Analysis: Christian Peacemaker Teams advocate
for Kurds As war winds down, Iraqi Kurdistan struggles for independence
from Iraq. by Garland Robertson for Christian Peacemaker Teams Iraqi
Kurdistan Christian Peacemaker Teams Iraqi Kurdistan>As war winds down,
Iraqi Kurdistan struggles for independence from Iraq.by Garland Robertson
for Christian Peacemaker Teams Iraqi Kurdistan Christian Peacemaker Teams
Iraqi Kurdistan

Peace,

--
*Lee Lever, Pastor*