[amayausers.com] Re: patches

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:25:48 UT

This message was posted by Body Cover on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/886.html#000002

Well I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on this one. I know some people that do
patches for a living and they buy cotton twill by the roll and then use the
heat and bond stuff you talked about and heat seal it to the back of the twill
then heat press the twill and glue to heavy cutaway backing. It makes it nice
and stiff, at this point they sew there patches as flats and put multiple
patches on one sheet and then they get cut apart with a die cutter later then
merrowed after that. I would suggest using the heat and bond after you sew your
satin borders and before you cut the patches this way the satins are bonded and
are less likely to snag and unravel and when your done either leave the backing
paper or peel it off, it should only leave a plastic feeling film behind that
can easily be sewn on just like a patch without it.
That's how we have done it in the past. and the nice thing about it is also if
someone would have to heat seal one on, then the bonding agent is in place and
can be used at anytime.
As far as the satin on the edge do some experimenting to see what the lowest
density you can go and still have it look good, thsi will in effect help the
patch stay stabil bu not having as many punctures around the edges, you may be
surprised how nice a 6 density looks.
Anyway good luck.
Ron