[amayausers.com] Re: patches

  • From: "Juli Damazo" <julid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Amaya Users" <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 09:13:22 -1000

It is nice that someone wants "local" made. See if you can talk them into letting you send the patch you made out for merrowing. Then you could just make the patch without the satin edge, thereby avoiding some serious problems.

If they agree to professional merrowing, then use 2 pieces of heavy cut-away. The first thing I would do is run a line around the edge to mark the edge for the patch company for the merrowing and to really hold all the layers together. Then do the rest of the patch. You'll have to ask the patch company if they want you to cut out on the circle.

OR

I do some fixing on a very big patch that a bike club sends me and the patches are quite stiff. There is a product that the home embroiderers use for making bowls. It is very thick, like 1/8" and makes an excellent backing for very large patches. I have used that with 6" round patches. One of the brands of this stuff is Pellon Peltex Sew In Ultra Firm Stabilizer-1428

If you can get the merrowing done professionally, then you don't have to worry about getting a finished edge that looks good. The merrowing will take care of that.

Use Tackle Twill for the base. It comes in all colors and is what most patches are made of.

I know that there are sealents for the back but don't know the names of any or where you can get them.

Good luck