[access-uk] Re: I'm outraged!

  • From: "Mike Higgins" <m.j.higgins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 13:52:51 +0100

I have to say first that I can sympathise with Saqib, that a sense of
proportion is always useful.  Perhaps keep 'outrage' for the genuinely
outrageous, like the arrest, detention, torture and generalised persecution
of blind political activists in China or the necessity for Blind and other
Disabled People to beg in order to survive in many majority world countries!
Nonetheless, I too can see Scott's point.  TV is  a comparatively recent
invention.  AD is there to remove the barriers that we as Blind Disabled
People experience when accessing it.  It is perfectly acceptable to expect
it to be there .  It is not something in the 21st century for which we
should feel grateful or thankful, any more than we should for the removal of
any other barrier which, if left in place, Leeds to our segregation or
exclusion.

Saqib I agree that 'outraged' is perhaps a tad O.T.T, but then I have no
idea
what 'Lost' is and therefore don't feel that strongly about it on a personal
level.  If I did and was trying to follow it,
I might feel  more angry that the AD which aught to have been part of the
broadcast was omitted.

Our expectations of equal treatment  as Blind People, including the
provision of AD, should not be tempered by gratitude or any sense of
diffidence.  We strive to be equal citizens with the right to be included
and treated equally, in the society in which we live.  Where it is typical
for people to be able to access such facilities as colour TV, why should
Blind People have to tolerate any less than equivalent reliable treatment
than those with sight.

Best wishes,

Mike Higgins,
Email: m.j.higgins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx