[access-uk] Re: I'm outraged!

  • From: "Damon Rose" <damon.rose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 19:02:53 +0100

I do feel for poor old Vanja.

Just to reiterate, it was the very last episode of a long-running cult series
which has broken the rules of TV and also become a web phenomenon.

There are literally millions of pages on the web theorising as to how the show
is going to end.

We're on episode 122 now, the finale, and poor old Vanja got up at 5am to watch
it being simulcast on UK and US television. Another very unusual 'must see'
event they created early this morning.

I would've been terribly disappointed had I got up at 5am. I did consider it
but had already guessed that the first showing wouldn't be audio described. My
girlfriend and I were watching it earlier, incidentally, and it says "live from
the US" on screen every 5 minutes or so. So it was a live feed coming from ABC
in the states; hardly surprising Sky had no opportunity to get it described.

Good debate though and I believe we should be expecting a high service. I'm
hoping that more than 6% of tv shows are to be described when Ofcom goes
through its data. Unless I've already missed the outcome.

From: Saqib - Email Address: saqib@xxxxxxxxxxxx Sent On: 24/05/2010 06:54 Sent
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - Email Address: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Mike. It wasn't the actual message that got my goat this morning. It was the
tone of it. Of course we should be on a level playing field as our sighted
counter parts on numerous levels and that includes transport and  general
technology. What I was trying to get across was that it's not a huge
catastrophy if something wasn't recorded in AD for one episode. There have been
plenty of ocations where Corrie hasn't been recorded with AD and yes it's a
nucense on a entertainment level but hay as I said we can't always have it our
way. I'm not saying that people should put up with this if such errors are made
on a regular basis but if its the odd program once in a while then I don't
think it's a huge deal for me personally.