[24hoursupport] Re: Win98 SE upgrade

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 17:12:30 -0700

Here is a link to a Linux like program;
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

It has some good reviews;

From Langa List
More on Knoppix...
Our discussion of "Linux-Inside-Windows Options" (items 1 and 2 in
http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-04-14.htm ) , and especially
Knoppix ( http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-04-14.htm#2 ) brought a
flood of email. For example:

Fred, I myself am a Knoppix user, after it was handed to me at a LAN party.
I was amazed at the ability of this little CD. I soon realized that I was
able to get into any machine, quickly, easily. The security measures of NTFS
and Windows were no match for Knoppix. Even setting passwords for single
files, I was able to print those "secure" files in minutes. I was able to
make many changes to the system, with no passwords or any type of
authentication. Very nice. Best of all, when I'm done with the PC, I just
shut down the pc and its normal user never knew I was there, unless I want
them to know. This can be a great tool for IT people who need this type of
resource. Its also VERY dangerous in the wrong hands.  So far, everyone I
have showed this OS to has been impressed. I am starting to see it on eBay,
and it has been able to setup each pc I have put it on. It does not seem to
like new Radeon cards, and large LCD's, but I seriously doubt that will pose
a threat in the future. Thanks to all the good people that helped with
Knoppix. What a great OS, and very fast, considering that it runs from CD
and has to decompress the applications it uses. I understand that a simple
swap partition will help as well, my tip for other soon-to-be Knoppix
users.... Thanks for the newsletter, much appreciated.---Troy

I agree, Troy, and also was intrigued by its potential not only as a
painless and safe way to try Linux without diddling with your existing
setup, but also as either an emergency recovery disk, or as a total system
"lifeboat."

You see, Knoppix isn't just Linux-on-a-boot-CD. It uses data compression to
put not only a complete, working version of Linux on your CD, but also some
900 (!) additional tools including Open Office (a complete office suite,
analogous to Microsoft Office), two browsers (Mozilla and Konqueror), a
virtual desktop manager, CD burner software, partition managers, the
"Evolution" email tool (similar to Outlook), and lots more--- even the same
module that Lindows has, that allows Linux to run some unmodified Windows
software! In all, the single Knoppix CD holds about 1.7GB of software. The
full list of what's included is here
http://download.linuxtag.org/knoppix/packages.txt  Take a look--- it's
incredible!
++ There is more on the web site.

http://www.mwn.ca/
A Technical Support Alliance Charter Member

On 02/05/2003 at 5:28 PM Wyatt M. Portendt wrote:

Those are Windows programs and as far as I know there are no Linux
versions.  Linux does (from what I've read) have ways to address these
issues, but I'm only in the thinking-about-Linux stage right now.

On 5/2/2003 at 12:39 PM a whisper was heard, and the one known as
yyixi001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx was rumoured to have uttered....

          |  Thank you it's a P3 with a 500 cpu and 350+ megs
          |  ram, and a few
          |  background programs doing different things that it's nice to
          |  have going.
          |  It runs at a decent speed now on Win98, but I wouldn't want it
          |  to run
          |  too much slower, no more than say 10% slower if that, which is
          |  why I was
          |  wondering about the amount of slowing down with a switch to
XP.

          |  I see an ebay offer for Linux Mandrake 9 for $20, but when I
          |  asked them
          |  if it would run with AdSubtract banner blocker, TextAssist 4,
          |  MailWasher, and a few other things, they never even bothered
          |  to reply.
          |
          |  "Spider spider1-at-tampabay.rr.com |24hoursupport/1.0-Allow|"
          |  wrote:
          |  >
          |  >
          |  >
          |  > What is in 98SE that makes you want to run the upgrade?  If
          |  your system
          |  > is running OK, I don't recall anthying in SE that makes the
          |  upgrade
          |  > worth risking system stability.  If you do in fact need to
          |  do it, then I
          |  > would consider a scratch install.  You would probably
          |  benefit greatly
          |  > from getting rid of remnants of Win95.  As for XP I would
          |  not consider
          |  > putting it on anything less then a 400 processor and 256
          |  megs of RAM.
          |  >
          |  > Spider
         SNIP