[windows2000] How to tighten up your network - suggestions

  • From: Patrick <london31uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:42:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Guys,

I have just been to one of my sites, and the kids are running rings around my
network administrator. Just wanting tips on what we can do to improve security.

Typical issues:

1: Smart kids running .exe files

2: kids creating shortcuts to restricted areas

3: Kids bringing in network scanning tools on usb sticks and running them on
the network

4: kids accessing games site thru usb sticks and hidden links

5: Kids embedding games in excel spreadsheets and powepoint presentaion, Word
documents etc.

Just to name but a few.

Windows 2003 R2

We currently have a web filtering software, which I am not sure is up to the
job.
We are implementing GPO's to prevent exe files from being run.
We are alos using WRSM to restrict what files can be saved on the users home
drive.

I am just looking for other ways to discourage kids from trying to breach what
we have.

Thanks

Patrick