[windows2000] Re: How to tighten up your network - suggestions

  • From: Richard Bruce <richardbruce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:38:08 +0000

Ok, have you ever actually DONE this? Because in my experience that's NOT the
way it works. That just gives them more opportunities to "explore". In many
cases these kids don't think they're doing any harm because they're NOT
"attacking" - just "looking around". Now I have them logging into servers,
usually at the console in the server room, where they can pop a CD or floppy in
and really do some damage? No thanks! And I have to supervise them? Sorry, I'm
busy enough as it is. I don't have time to babysit. Unless it's REALLY simple
stuff like replacing keyboards or setting up workstations, I just can't afford
to make what I consider a bad investment of my time and effort

My solution? I had a meeting with him, the principal, his parents, and the
local cop. We explained exactly what the policy and the law says on this, and
what would happen to him. Done. And word spread fast. They don't stand much of
a chance getting a decent IT job with a criminal record.

> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:27:03 +0000
> Subject: [windows2000] Re: How to tighten up your network - suggestions
> From: berny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Would I TRUST them implicitly? No, it's not their job to be enforcing
> stuff, nor do they have the knowledge or maturity to properly look
> after it. But for 1 or 2 students who see things like network print
> queues filling up all the time (Out of paper and people hitting print
> 20 times because their job didn't come out straight away), and giving
> them something to do (Helping you around the place in their spare
> time, which also means that they are supervised) gives them a sense of
> responsibility for the network, so they don't WANT to attack it so
> much. They will ask you questions, and you will end up teaching them a
> bit, but instead of them attacking the network to find an answer, they
> ask a question. When they see or find something, they come to you
> straight away with it.
>
> It's free and it gets them onside.
>
> Berny
>
> 2009/3/26 Richard Bruce <richardbruce@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > I gotta go with the solution in Snyder's environment ;-)> I've dealt with
> > kids like this before. No matter how many holes we plug, they'll find new
> > ones. You can even put them to work - but would you TRUST them with your
> > network or sensitive data? They ONLY way to put a stop to it have
> > consequences for their actions - and impose them!
> >
> > Richard Eells
> >
> >> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:30:00 +0000
> >> Subject: [windows2000] Re: How to tighten up your network - suggestions
> >> From: berny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >> To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >>
> >> OK,
> >>
> >> Maybe it's just me, but you gotta admit, that's inventive!
> >>
> >> I would be asking him if he has considered a career in IT
> >>
> >> Berny

Quick access to Windows Live and your favorite MSN content with Internet
Explorer 8.