[windows2000] Re: Blocking Internet Browsing from Explorer.exe

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:15:43 -0800

From: Mark Lee <marklee15@xxxxxxxxx>
You could be on a winner here Jim, we need to stop access at defined times of the day, all access is via a proxy so perhaps we could script in/out a false address for the proxy server in the hosts file on the local PC !

If I do make a GUI for the hosts file edity type stuff I'll let you know !

I stopped IE with DeskPRO from my site so it can only run at certain times of the day, yet within 5 minutes of it being stopped the little swines were on the net again via word and explorer - damn resourceful students these days you know !

What's wrong with using an Authenticating proxy like ISA or SQUID? They both have all kinds of different access controls that you can tweak.

Chris Berry
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force." --Darth Vader

online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection! Prices start at less than $1 a day average. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary by service area.)

This Weeks Sponsor SeamlessPlanet.com
Register your domain name for as low as $7.75 per year!
Cheaper than Godaddy..same great service! http://SeamlessPlanet.com