[windows2000] Re: Blocking Internet Browsing from Explorer.exe

  • From: Mark Lee <marklee15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 15:22:42 +0000 (GMT)

Jim,

fab idea already done and works a treat (esp. with the help of altiris rapid
install packages!).

Have written a small exe (blockdns) that allows command line addition/removal
of host file entries.  This is now running from the scheduler on the machines
in question to add/remove the entry (127.0.0.1 proxyserver.dns) for our web
proxy server on demand !

Have emailed the util to you under seperate cover so you can post to thethin
downloads area should you wish to !

Cheers

Mark

Webmail <web@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mark the easiest way to do this is to just block the sites in the hosts file.
That way they can't get to them no matter what program they run.
See this page for an example how to set it up:
http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/

Basically you just point the URL to the null address 127.0.0.1 in the hosts
file and when they go to it they get a page not found error.

What we be cool is a little graphical utility that appends the hosts file
properly so you can easily add addreses... hint hint.

JK