[windows2000] Re: Blocking Internet Browsing from Explorer.exe

  • From: Mark Lee <marklee15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 14:49:40 +0000 (GMT)

You could be on a winner here Jim, we need to stop access at defined times of
the day, all access is via a proxy so perhaps we could script in/out a false
address for the proxy server in the hosts file on the local PC !

If I do make a GUI for the hosts file edity type stuff I'll let you know !

I stopped IE with DeskPRO from my site so it can only run at certain times of
the day, yet within 5 minutes of it being stopped the little swines were on the
net again via word and explorer - damn resourceful students these days you know
!

Mark

Webmail <web@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mark the easiest way to do this is to just block the sites in the hosts file.
That way they can't get to them no matter what program they run.
See this page for an example how to set it up:
http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/

Basically you just point the URL to the null address 127.0.0.1 in the hosts
file and when they go to it they get a page not found error.

What we be cool is a little graphical utility that appends the hosts file
properly so you can easily add addreses... hint hint.

JK