[windows2000] Re: Blocking Internet Browsing from Explorer.exe

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:15:43 -0800

From: Mark Lee <marklee15@xxxxxxxxx>
You could be on a winner here Jim, we need to stop access at defined times of the day, all access is via a proxy so perhaps we could script in/out a false address for the proxy server in the hosts file on the local PC !

If I do make a GUI for the hosts file edity type stuff I'll let you know !

I stopped IE with DeskPRO from my site so it can only run at certain times of the day, yet within 5 minutes of it being stopped the little swines were on the net again via word and explorer - damn resourceful students these days you know !

What's wrong with using an Authenticating proxy like ISA or SQUID? They both have all kinds of different access controls that you can tweak.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force." --Darth Vader

online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection! Prices start at less than $1 a day average. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary by service area.)