[TechAssist] Re: Computer Question:

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 12:05:53 -0400

You can use programs such as Norton Ghost to completely copy all the
data on one hard drive over to another one of same size or larger. Then,
after you confirm that the new drive works fine without having the old
drive in the system, you can reconnect and erase the data from the old
drive, or just store the old drive away in the cupboard in case you have
to back up the data again later.

You can also just simply add the new hard drive and make it a slave if
you wish, but considering that the 6 year old drive is likely 3 to 6 gig
in size and you can now purchase 160 gig or larger, it doesn't make too
much sense to bother leaving the old one in the system. There may be
limitations on the size of partitions that Windows 98 can have. Whatever
the limit is, you can just make multiple partitions in FDISK when you
install the new drive. With Windows 2000 or XP, the size limits are
very, very high so that is not a current issue.

To find out the size of your current hard drive, go into MY Computer and
right- click on the hard drive icon. At the bottom it should have option
to click on "Properties". Click on that and it should show the size of
the drive and how much free space is left.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984