[TCUG] 'Wacky ideas'

  • From: R.J.Perry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:55:08 +0100

On the continent they allow our equivalent left turn onto a green walking
man by signalling it with a flashing green arrow.  The message being you
can
turn left but give way to pedestrians round the corner.

Presumably any flashing facilities in the UK could only be implemented once
all the pelicans had been removed from the highways and the statute
changed.

I've not seen flashing ambers used with all round ped's, but I have seen
them on junctions during quiet times such as inter-peak or at night and as
an indicator where there is a controller failure rather than a power
failure, both indicating a need for the drivers to be extra cautious.  I'm
not sure what they did with the pedestrian signal perhaps they flashed as
well or were blacked out, any suggestions?