[TCUG] Re: 'Wacky ideas'

  • From: "David Overton" <dtoverton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:56:48 +0100

Mervyn

Thanks for that.  I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear - I fully endorse
your opinion about the efficiency which staggered crossings bring, but the
advantage is in the separate signalling, not in the physical stagger.  With
near-side indicators it is only moderately wacky to consider retaining the
separate signalling of each carriageway but without physically staggering
them.  All the efficiency advantages with a much neater layout.  Other
people do it ...

And another thing - can we kill once and for all the view of some safety
auditors that all staggers should be left-right!  Let's hear it for the
right-left stagger!  Crossing on the approach side is then at the stop line.
Crossing on the exit side far enough from the junction for traffic to be
travelling straight and to give the peds sight of them.  More efficient and
safer.

David