[tcb] Re: Master Cylinder

  • From: Steve Chamberlain <steveraychamberlain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 11:57:36 -0500

I don't know but I've been told Yes, the fluid in the master cylinder can
leak past the piston allowing flow but no pressure. Try pumping the pedal
to see if you can build pressure & brake. If so hold the petal down and see
if it bleeds off and goes to the floor. This is internal leak that will not
show any fluid on the ground. '67 is one year only master cylinder and
expensive. If you can't rebuild it try a '74 (I think) bug master cylinder.
It is also dual reservoir but different shaft length. I am using it as is
but you can get a shim that goes on the base where it attaches to the frame
that puts the shaft at the proper distance. As I say don't take my word for
it check around.with the experts.