[SI-LIST] Re: Why is capacitor with high ESR

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'steve weir '" <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "''sguzek@xxxxxxxxx ' '" <sguzek@xxxxxxxxx>, "''Si-List ' '" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:12:29 -0800

Steve,
I would think

7)
Gnd
Power
Signal
Gnd

with the fence and sea of vias and decoupling in between will be better than
6)

For 4) it is obvious there is no edge containment.
For 5) while the edge containment can help the first five layers, the bottom
power plane can still have noise current which solely relie on decoupling
caps that may or may not be effective and you will need a case like 6) to
ensure the complete edge containment (since you can short the gnd/power
planes with vias).