[SI-LIST] Re: Proper use of the Si-List

  • From: Sitar Moniker <si_monkey2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vrbanacm@xxxxxxxxxx, si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:49:44 -0700 (PDT)

This is a well balanced prescription covering several types. But, item 2.
discourages controversial questions/points. I hope this is your personal
opinion only and not reflect list opinion. My personal opinion is controversy
(discussion of differing viewpoints) promotes new ideas or at least fix
misconceptions.

"Michael E. Vrbanac" <vrbanacm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Many have weighed in on this one... here's another...

1. Don't be lazy. Make an honest effort to answer your own question for
yourself first...
BEFORE getting on-line. You'll be better for it and we'll all
appreciate it.

2. If you feel like its your duty to post controversial
questions/points.... don't.
Most of us don't have that kind of time to waste.

3. If your question/answer is in line with the material we deal with on
this forum...
by all means, post your question/answer.

4. Encourage others to think through their own questions. Great
educators do this.

5. There's no law that says that any of us has "the last word" on any
matter. So if you
have a idea that really doesn't add to the overall content in a
positive way, then don't post.

6. Let others answer the questions, too. No one has to answer them all.

7. Do you know all the answers and think everyone else is an idiot?
Then don't post.
Your glaring brilliance will embarrass us all and then none of us
mortals will want to
post anymore and the SI-LIST would shut down.

8. Be gracious in your questions/answers. Any forum is a "give & take"
affair and its
likely you'd like to be treated well when its your turn to ask a
question.

9. Everyone screws up now and then. When someone breaks the "rules"
occasionally,
give some slack to the offender. If its persistent, then that's
another matter.

10. Pay for what you should. IP theft by preying on the good graces of
honest working folks
who have a desire to help should be heartily discouraged here. If
your questions should
be answered by someone who makes their living being a consultant,
then hire a good one.
There are quite a few on this forum. Find someone who you feel will
help you. If you don't,
one day you won't find any and you'll really be out of luck.

11. Post with the intent to be helpful first... advertise later. You
do more by helping than
bragging.

My two cents...

Michael E. Vrbanac