[SI-LIST] Re: Proper use of the Si-List

  • From: john <johndp@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:49:10 +0100

While I would agree that the SI-List is not somewhere to get  first
semester degree  (or in some cases it appears even secondary school)
education, it is however a place of learning. It is a place where views
can be expressed and questions asked,  it is not a place for free
advertising for books, courses or consulting services. If a list member
(who gains no financial benefit form the goods/services) recommends a
particular course ,or book then that is a different matter.

I recently heard a consultant say something on the lines of  ' I can not
understand some members of the SI list giving away there IP for free',
this same consultant recently asked the list for advice for which I'm
sure they could have paid another consultant for.... maybe this was why
there was only limited response.

The list pretty much regulates itself for content, if questions are to
basic or if they require to much IP, then they are normally  ignored.
If  a problem is posted that a lot of us a facing then normally a good
debate happens and the readers/posters are left to make there own
technical decision based on the discussion.

Yes, some of the questions can be infuriating when the author shows no
ability to help themselves, however there is a filter mechanism, it is a
handy key marked 'delete'.

Regards

John

List FAQ wiki page is located at: