[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: state of the union

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CherlynGSD@xxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 09:37:26 -0800 (PST)

Linda...we need to hear from you more often!....FB
CherlynGSD@xxxxxxx wrote:  Hi all,

I am not one that writes to the list frequently, however I do read many of
the posts as well as I use my delete key. Many of the answers you are looking
for have already been posted to the list in various threads or at least they
may be starting points. I am not pointing fingers at anyone, I am only
putting together comments I have read here. Honesty ..... First and foremost,
be
honest to yourself. To the stud dog owner ... Did you accept the fee knowing
that this was a good breeding to help obtain the goals of the breeder or did
you keep your knowledge to yourself? To the breeder .... As you sold your
litter did you tell each buyer why you aren't keeping this one ..... or did you
keep your knowledge to yourself? To the handlers ..... are you showing that dog
because you truly believe that it is a very good representative of the breed
or did you keep your knowledge to yourself? Judges ... Was that dog / bitch
you put up today as near to the standard as possible or did you keep your
knowledge to yourself?

Critiques ... Another area that had been discussed. They can be very useful
if they state something. These dogs that are being critiqued are the winners
you put up and since there is no dog that is perfect, tell me how this dog
deviated from the standard, in your opinion. If you were to write " could use
more ..... " and I see similar comments on other dogs of the same line or very
close to that line, then that tells me something. Nice male or lovely bitch
tells me nothing about the dog but could tell me about the judge.

Education .... The GSDCA is the "Parent" club to all the regional clubs. The
responsibility of education starts there. Reach out to the regional clubs,
help them to keep and expand their memberships, educate them. You have
resources across the nation, use them! Set up programs and seminars that will
educate people on the breed and / or the health issues, and go to the regional
clubs. Don't just offer these at the National, be assertive. A topic you could
use has been on this list for a long time, "We are here in the breed, where
will we be 10 years from now and how do we get there?"

Honesty and education are keys to the future. Just because something has
been done the same way for many years doesn't mean that it is right or the best
way, it may be have been the best at it's time but then over time it becomes
habit and habits are hard to break.

Maybe it is time to not only evaluate our dogs but evaluate ourselves, our
goals and motives within the breed and how we plan to get there.

This is my opinion of what I have been reading here.

Linda Chernak ~ CherLyn Shepherds

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original