[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: state of the union

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 08:41:13 -0800

As Evan stated - if we didn't fool with mother nature, we wouldn't  have
German Shepherds at all.  Nature prefers square bodies, hanging  ears,
straight stifles, etc.  For as much as so many people hate  angulated
dogs, we could not keep even the moderate angulation without breeding
to the more angulated dogs at least part of the time.

As for health problems - these have always been around and always
will.  At least the majority of us are trying to breed them out of our
lines, but "mother nature" seems to find a way to keep them around
anyway <grin>.

Janice

Well, it never ceases to amaze the learning curve on the list.  I recall
about... oh, 2 years ago maybe more, saying that if left alone, the breed
will revert back to the norm --- the middle.  Square, straight but balanced
angulation, etc.  And oh man did I get lambasted... ha ha ha... fast
forward, now it's an acceptable theory!! LOL

The only part you got wrong is, hanging ears is not norm for "nature".
Erect ears is norm --- wolves, foxes, wild dogs, etc., it is the norm for
them to have erect ears --- it's only with mans intervention and preference
and breeding it into those breeds with hanging ears that we have them.

Now in regards to the point made about need of having "very-angulated" dogs
in the breeding programs.  I agree 100%.  We need these animals that are on
the extreme side of the pendulum to help us to fight the natural tendencies
of the breed to swing to the "middle".  These dogs are breeding tools, not
show dogs.

Regards,

Kathaleen