[ SHOWGSD-L ] Who are we kidding?

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:43:44 EST

In a message dated 12/16/05 9:56:53 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Gsdman2@xxxxxxx writes:
In fact we mimic nature by making selections which mold the dog to fit into
its place in the world. In the GSD's case, that would be herding sheep for man
 as flock tenders.

Nonsense. We established a standard, as did all the recognized breeds. We
determined the place in the world we wanted our dogs to fit into, not  nature.

If we allowed the dogs to "free breed" in but a few generations they would
all look like wolves.  The dominant traits, sable, bad hips and elbows,  weak
backs, high rears, and long legs would take over. Also, only the strong  would
survive, so the breed would increase in size, and the German shepherd  would
a mutt.  German shepherds would not even restrict the breeding to  German
shepherd, but indiscriminately breed with whoever was  convenient.

We breed an artificial look that we find pleasing, and for a purpose we
determined we wanted them to do.  In the wild, there was not much use for a
dog
to herd sheep, the sheep and other animals were for eating.   That's another
trait we seem to have eliminated, (or at least controlled), the  desire to eat
the sheep.  We decided to make dogs domestic and to have them  do unnatural
acts for us.  Dogs do not naturally herd sheep to move them  about. They herd
them to eat them.

Nature needs no one to mimic it, nature is natural, ergo the name.

Evan  (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/