[ SHOWGSD-L ] Who are we kidding?

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:44:51 -0800

Tom opines...

 When I was new, had I not been the shy guy that I am <G>, I certainly
thought differently than I do now.  My ideal GSD has changed many times over
the years as I learned more about the breed.

Paul adds...

Being a shy guy like Tom...I too had a bad beginning. My 1st dog had
dysplasia, the 2nd was spooky (I thought they were right when they said to
pick the one who didn't run up to ya), and my 3rd looked like a coyote. She
went last in a class of 20 bitches at our 1st Specialty. I was shattered.
But...that same bitch took her CD in 3 shows and missed going Dog World (all
3 shows at 195 or higher) by 1/2 a point. She was a super smart coyote.

I don't believe the repartee that is going back and forth is doing much to
help this person. You can only help those who want it or are willing to look
objectively on a subject.

Like Tom & Peggy...our dogs have evolved over our 25 + years in the Breed.
When we realized our loins were getting too short...we bred to a dog who
added an inch. When our necks became too short we bred to lines that helped
make them more to the Standard and added elegance at the same time.

The Standard is the "blueprint" of the perfect dog. I don't know of an
architect worth his salt that doesn't use a blueprint to create his
creation. That said...all blueprints are not the same nor is the 1st draft
usually the final draft. They may well be changed many times before the
creation is finished.

Paul