[ SHOWGSD-L ] IS THE GSDCA TOO DESPERATE?LONG SORRY

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:55:38 -0500

Steve Grainger
hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
EarthLink Revolves Around You.

 For some time I and others have discussed what could we do to improve
marketing of the PC...with yesterdays' "Ain't it a shame" post...I felt it
would be a good time to give some possible "tangible" suggestions for
increasing membership within the club...and again for the PC to again  have a
unified membership. Desperation is never a good marketing tool. fighting openly
on the List about club business in front of non-members is not a way to
increase membership. Letting non-members access information on the PC
website..such as National results with photos...other show wins..and the
pedigree archive is giving too much away to non-members. We need to adopt the
attitude that this is an organization that is worth belonging to..and we need
to market it the same way. We are too worried about disenfranchisement,
litigation and the like. yet many have chosen to disenfranchise themselves from
the PC. I would like to list some suggestions that Steve and I have put
together  that might
 be helpful in marketing the GSDCA and increasing membership. these ideas are
not necessarily our original ideas..but have come from many different
sources..most from knowledgeable people that we both respect in the breed. I am
certain that some suggestions will be met with "We can't" or "that won't work"
..but I bet to differ...I would be willing to predict..that if most were
implemented..we would see a more productive and growing GSDCA. Below are some
ideas:
1) we adopt full membership and associate membership program.
       a) full membership has all privileges...only a nominal fee if any for
seminars..plus a new perk" the GSDCA List"(see below) b) associates can't vote
and don't receive the Review, or ballots or be a part of the new GSDCA List.
they will pay a nominal yearly membership fee...and a  fee to attend seminars.
c) The associate membership should be promoted to pet buyers as a way to
support the breed in all aspects, conformation, all performance venues and
education. Most love the breed and would be willing to support it annually..if
it is marketed in that manner..I think many pet buyers would contribute. this
needs to be done at a grassroots level..breeders within the PC need to promote
the GSDCA at the associate level..who knows..some may then opt for full
membership. Perhaps as an incentive..an reward gave be given to the breeder who
signs the most members up...say something like 2 premium seats at the National.
 A new revised promotional brochure needs to be in the AKC pac
 ket..listing the benefits of full and associate membership in the GSDCA.

2) a GSDCA "list" should be formed..you have access to it as a  full PC member
only. this way..club business, the NIS, elections and other information that
should only be known by members isn't shared with non-members. If you want to
be "in the loop" then you can pay your dues  to the GSDCA and give your
opinions. the current List  as we know it..should then refrain from discussing
PC business. this  new GSDCA list membership is again for full members
only...and should be considered a "perk" for being a member. it will allow you
to have a part in discussing the future of the GSDCA.
3)The only sections of the GSDCA website that can be accessed by non-members
are,breeders directory, handlers, Review info, products and upcoming shows and
National info and forms...all other info is for membership only. The pedigree
portion of the PC site is a valuable tool..much work goes into updating..and
keeping this archive of pedigrees..it should be worth GSDCA dues to be able to
use it. Show results..especially the National should be  the same...if you want
to know who has won the next day ..or see the picture of the gv, gvx and
Selects..thanks to Bill's frequent updating....then pay your dues yearly..it is
worth it..

4) WDA members should be required to maintain an a minimum  associate
membership in the GSDCA. The PC has worked in partnership with them..and we are
open to promoting all aspects of the GSD..then they too should show support for
all aspects of the GSD. I understand the we do their packet mailings for them
and have also helped them financially in other ways.This not to "convert" them
into conformation exhibitors..but to show solidarity for the breed...working
together for a common good.

5)In order to maintain a full membership in the GSDCA..one educational seminar
a year must be attended. This can be about conformation, obedience,Schutzhund,
handling, reproduction, or open forum discussions about the GSD, etc. With the
extra revenue generated from associate dues..the PC can perhaps have another
seminar in addition to the one they have with the National..Perhaps some
regional clubs would be willing to have them also. would be nice  if Purina or
another dog food company could help support an educational seminar in
conjunction with futurities or other shows.
6) OR..if number 5 is too extreme in thinking for some members...how about
this..if you are a "Breeders Code signer" then you must attend 1 educational
seminar per year as listed in point 5. the breeders code needs to have a bit
more "meat" to it. it is in need of revision..Some examples are as
follows:..a)."A stud dog owner should refuse to breed a bitch of poor
quality...yet there is no provision for offering a stud dog of poor quality to
the public. . b) a bitch owner can't breed a bitch more than 3 times in a row"
To me..that is a personal choice..a bitch could have 3 litters with one puppy
in each..also many repro. vets feel bitches should be breed more
consecutively...again..not the business of the PC...c) A disclaimer needs to be
placed on the PC site that a breeders code signer has not been inspected...and
is not endorsed by the PC. d) there should be no guarantee of a repeat breeding
to a bitch..I can think of incidents where a repeat would not be
warranted..again..n
 ot the PC's business. Make the breeders code mean more..and education to
it...guidelines for maintainence and care of dogs...and make sure that signers
are adhering to those guidelines..and it will have more merit.

The above are ideas are to consider and to improve marketing of the GSDCA and
the breed we love. Again..being a GSDCA member and a breeders code signer
should be an honor...and we need to market it as such. If some of you fear that
some will leave..or will will disenfranchise some...then so be it. No one can
be disenfranchised if they join...you can only make yourself disenfranchised if
you don't join as either a full member or associate member. I am expecting
fallout from this..but again..these are a collective group of ideas...given by
several people...all of which have the best for the GSDCA and the breed at
heart. C.Grainger