[sac-forum] Re: Flatiron and vicinity

  • From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:24:55 -0700

Hi Steve,
Excellent point. Which begs the question, how high above the horizon (in
degrees)  must a light dome extend before it becomes intolerable for
southerly observations? northerly? east or west? At what distance from
phoenix (in the opposite direction ) does the light dome fall below this
standard? I'm fairly certain that this would produce an oblong to football
shaped foot print that would answer many questions like; Is a one hour
travel time even reasonable? Does it have to be further? It also answers
where to look. Draw it on a topo map and see what's left. If the CSC's
"light pollution map is that answer I'd say there's not a lot of "close"
places left, unless you lower the "standard" of "tolerability" or choose to
endure harsher weather extremes of temperature (colder and hotter).

Jimmy Ray