[sac-forum] Re: Flatiron and vicinity

  • From: "Dan Gruber" <dgruber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:03:24 -0700

I agree with Steve. For me, the basis of comparison for an observing
site is my backyard, not a perfectly dark site. Hovatter and Sentinel
are darker than Flatiron, but I think that FI is a darn nice site
considering how close it is.

Has anybody explored up I -17 in the Black Canyon City area? PAS uses a
park up there which isn't as good as FI mostly because it's too close to
the freeway. But I remember lots of dirt roads in the area. Also, what
about west of Lake Pleasant toward Wickenburg? I'd be happy to join
somebody more familiar with the area on reconnaissance trips.

I hope that FI continues to be usable for some years to come-after all,
the real estate market is in a slump and I think the developers have to
find an assured supply of water. But we'd be wise to identify
alternatives.

Clear dark skies,

Dan