[rollei_list] Re: Trying to restore Kodachromes taken 50 years ago

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 15:55:02 -0300

Hi John:
             I think that whilst there are some things in common
between an outdated film developed with a fresh chemical process and
an old processed film; the main difference could be that the old
processed film suffers the emulsion age and the chemical process age
too.  I think it's easier to correct the colors for an outdated film
processed with fresh chemicals than to correct an old film with a
chemical process that aged with the film. There are situations where
even some PS tools don't work fine, as it's explained in some scanning
tutorials ; sometimes Color Balance and Hue &saturation don't work
fine initially and you need to work with levels and curves only;  and
there are some severe situations where you can't recover the colors
because there is no enough info in the slide to recover them; if you
have a frame with a color cast and you have also distorted colors, at
least you have a color cast to eliminate and a distorted color to
change it, but there also are old slides in bad condition without
color cast to eliminate and without distorted colors to correct...
In general, the Kodacromes in my little box show better condition than
the "newer" Ektachromes, however the Kodacromes also need a
restoration work  except for five units, after they passed the
infrared cleaning process. BTW, I tried the Digital ICE and the
Vuescan Infrared cleaning  (both are infrared), Digital ICE looks
almost a joke compared with the Vuescan version, perhaps I'm missing
some option for Digital ICE..
I'm busy now, but I hope to upload some results for the week-end.
Thanks for your answer.