[rollei_list] Re: Trying to restore Kodachromes taken 50 years ago

  • From: Georges Giralt <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 23:06:08 +0200

Le 07/08/2014 14:21, CarlosMFreaza a écrit :
OK, these are the first six samples, they were taken by my father
between 1958 and 1962 using a Voss Diax IIb rangefinder camera with a
Xenon Schneider 2/50 (coated), except for the last one, taken with a
WA lens Xenagon Schneider 3,5/35. My father sent these Kodachromes to
Kodak Argentina in Buenos Aires city for processing, however they sent
the Kodachromes to Kodak USA (according some versions to a giant
laboratory that Kodak had in the Panama channel zone, according other
versions, to Rochester directly); he received the processed slides
with their Kodak cardboard frames three months later.

Please, keep in mind these are color shots taken and processed about
55 years ago:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/sets/72157646242821302/

Carlos

PS: I changed some privacy settings for these six images, but I think
you'll see them without problems.

Hello Carlos,
A few months back I had to scan prints of my father which died in 76. So they where snaps made and printed without conservation in mind in the seventies. Of course they have faded. So I scanned them and used the "restoration" process in Photoshop elements. It ask for you to designate a white point and/or a black and did a pretty good job at restoring them automatically.... So you may want to test it for your images. (my father had unusual very light blue eyes. They returned to the shade of blue I remembered... so I was happy)

--
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
                Abraham Maslow