[rollei_list] Re: Trying to restore Kodachromes taken 50 years ago

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 08:31:16 -0300

>... Hello Carlos,
> A few months back I had to scan prints of my father which died in 76. So
> they where snaps made and printed without conservation in mind in the
> seventies.
> Of course they have faded. So I scanned them and used the "restoration"
> process in Photoshop elements.
> It ask for you to designate a white point and/or a black and did a pretty
> good job at restoring them automatically....
> So you may want to test it for your images. (my father had unusual very
> light blue eyes. They returned to the shade of blue I remembered... so I was
> happy)...

Hello Georges:
                        I did not find the option to restore images
automatically in PS Elements 9. Vuescan has options to restore
chromatic losses and faded colors, but they were not enough for these
slides, they work better for prints. I worked on each slide using
level and curves for each color channel mainly; I downloaded as
plug-in, from somewhere in the web, a curves tool for PSE, it works
fine.