[rollei_list] Re: Tell the tales of Triotars

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 16:52:50 -0400

At 04:12 PM 5/5/2013, Chris Burck wrote:

WRT the Triotar and the Tessar as well, ZI seems to have followed a fairly conservative and methodical pattern, beginning with f/4.5 versions (actually, f/6.3 if you want to reach all the way back) and progressing thru f/3.8 intermediates to the final f/3.5 aperture. The 80mm Tessar seems to be the exception to this pattern. The difference in speed *is* pretty slight, but If you consider the slow film in those days, I can see how it might be important to some photographers.

Georges Giralt, there's little difference between the Triotar and Apotar. They are both fine triplets, though over the decades the Apotar seems to have gained a stronger reputaion (if online testimonials are any indication), in terms of sharpness and corrections. The best reputation of all the triplets, in medium format at least, appears to be enjoyed by the Trioplan made in Gorlitz by Meyer Optik.

A couple of quick points.

First, Carl Zeiss is a lens company. Zeiss Ikon (no hyphen) was a camera company. They were both owned by the Zeiss Foundation but they are not the same company and it is important to keep that in mind.

Second, the original six-element Planar was a product of Paul Rudolph from 1896. It was an almost perfect lens in terms of correcting aberrations but it suffered, due to its many surfaces, from flare, so Rudolph sought a more reasonable compromise and introduced the Tessar in 1902. That lens, with only four surfaces, was less prone to flare but originally could only be stopped down to f/6.3. Rudolph spent his last years at Zeiss working on that problem and got it to f/4.5 before he retired. (He went bust in the immediate postwar mess in Germany and was to later surface as a lens designer for another company, but that is a tale for a different day.) Rudolph turned over lens design to Ernst Wandersleb, who eventually got the aperture opened to f/3.5. Then Wandersleb turned the project over to his assistant, Hans Sauer, who got it down to f/2.8. Wandersleb was married to a Jew, so his life was ruined by the Nazis, who tossed her into a Camp. He broke down and, while she survived, he was a finished man, and so he lived out his years until the late 1950's as an appendage of the Communist-run Carl Zeiss Jena (yes, even Marxists can have heart on occasion!), passing a year or so after his wife.

Hans Sauer was brought to the west by the US Army, thanks to the 80th Infantry Division, my former unit. He had with him two sets of designs, one for the f/2.8 Tessar and the other for the five-element Planar (sound familiar, Rollei People?).

I knew people who knew Hans Sauer, and, through him, Ernst Wandersleb and Paul Rudolph. But, for that matter, I once shook the hand of Willy Ley, who had shaken the hand of Werner von Braun, who had often shaken the hand of Adolph Hitler. But, then, Ley had also shaken the hand of those fathers of astronautics, Hermann Oberth and George Goddard, so I guess it all balances in the end.

Third, the recomputed Postwar Triotar for the Contax RF is generally regarded as a gem of a lens. Mine certainly performs superbly. But we were speaking of Prewar Triotars, weren't we?

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!