[rollei_list] Re: Tell the tales of Triotars

  • From: Sanders McNew <sanders@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "<rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 16:23:44 +0000

So, which of us is correct, do you suppose?

For those just tuning in, here's the question:

You shoot a portrait with two Rolleicords, each at f/4.5.
One has the f/3.5 Triotar, the other has the f/4.5 Triotar.
With no other variations, which produces the sharper image?

And why?

Sanders

Eric Goldstein wrote:

I'm not Richard or Mark but will jump in with this...

I'm remembering that in the 1950s the optimum design speed of an MF Tessar
was f/6.3. This means that a well-designed f/6.3 Tessar would perform best
wide open and that it would provide superior corrections compared with an
f/3.8 or f/4.5 Tessar stopped down to f/6.3. This is because of the
compromises needed to make these latter two lenses faster than the optimal
design speed lens.

I do not know what the optimal design speed for a MF Triplet (Triotar)
would be; my guess it it would not have been f/6.3 in the 50s because with
only 6 surfaces to work with and 3 glass types, you might need more speed
to achieve optimal than with a tessar-type

Today with superior glass types available, it is possible that the optimal
design speed for these lenses could be a bit faster. Using asherical
surfaces would probably get you another bump faster...

Eric Goldstein