[rollei_list] Re: Tell the tales of Triotars

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 11:37:10 -0700

Hello !
Something puzzle me. I own an Agfa Isolette II which is fitted with a 85 mm F:4.5 Apotar lens. It is a 3 lenses lens design and use front focusing (i.e; the front element unscrew for the focusing). This said, it is a very good lens and has plenty of contrast and detail (to my surprise). As this lens dates as back as the early '60s I wonder what is different from the Triotar lenses ?
Thank you to enlightening me ;-)

The focal length of both the Triplet and Tessar are strongly influenced by element spacing, particularly the front element, so its relatively easy to make a lens with front element focusing. However, the aberrations are also affected. Note that one of the popular designs for variable soft focus lenses uses a Triplet with a moving element, usually the center one. Evidently changing both air spaces in different directions by moving the center element does not affect focal length so much as spherical aberration. Careful design of a variable focal length lens can result in very good performance but it will not be quite optimum at any distance. The Tessars used in some of he Zeiss-Ikon cameras were front element focusing and are reputed to be very sharp. This may be partly due to the excellent rangefinder used in some of them.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles