[rollei_list] Re: Tell the tales of Triotars

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 19:03:44 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sanders McNew" <sanders@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2013 2:20 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Tell the tales of Triotars

So, Marc and Richard, help me out a bit here.

I have it in my head that when you stop a lens down even one stop from full aperture, its performance improves substantially. I think I read somewhere that it had something to do with not using the extreme periphery of the lens, though that's probably wrong. For this reason, over the years I've always tried to stop down from full aperture when light permitted -- to stop a 2.8E down to f/4 (or smaller), for example, whenever possible.

Is that correct? And if it is correct, then wouldn't one expect an f/3.5 Triotar, stopped down to f/4.5, to provide visibly better results than an f/4.5 Triotar at full aperture? Maybe the advantage of working the Triotar design to a larger aperture was, in part, to improve the visual acuity of the lens at a given working aperture. Or is that a stupid conclusion built on false assumptions?

Sanders

To Sanders and also to address Eric. Some lens aberrations vary with the stop. In particular spherical aberration and coma. Coma varies with the image angle, getting larger as the angle increases from the center of the image. Spherical aberration occurs throughout the image. Both of these are due in part to the angle with which the light rays transiting the lens strike the various surfaces. The greater the angle the greater the effect leading to the aberration. So, using a small aperture reduces the cone of light and the angles of the rays. There is an "optimum" which depends also on the coverage angle expected from the lens. Since coma varies with image angle it gets worse as the coverage gets larger. So, to get the margins or corners sharp a smaller stop is needed as the angle increases. Now, there is another factor working the other way, namely the loss of sharpness due to diffraction at the iris. The smaller the iris the greater the blur from diffraction. So, at some point as one stops down the increase in sharpness to reducing the aberrations is countered by the loss of sharpness from diffraction. That is the "optimum". This optimum is not a fixed ratio from the maximum stop but depends on the amount of aberration in the lens and its character and the angle of coverage needed. Now, all lenses have another important aberration called astigmatism. This is tricky to explain, it is not the same as what is called astigmatism in the human eye. If one measures the distance at which a point of light at infinity (but can actually be at any distance) but offset somewhat from the center of the image focuses, one finds that as the lens is moved three points of focus are found. At one the point focus to a line in one axis, then it will focus to a round blur spot, then as the lens is moved further it focuses to a line in the other axis. At the center of the image this effect does not exist. It becomes greater as we move away from the axis until it reaches some maximum and then, near the margin of the coverage, the two points of line focus coincide and we have a single round spot. If we graph the focus we find we have two separate fields, sometimes called radial and tangential or sometimes sagital. The distance between them determines the sharpness focus possible. Astigmatism is not affected by the stop size but it is mitigated by increased depth of focus. Also, the point where the two fields coincide at the margin and what happens to the two curves beyond it are important because that is the main determinator of how large the coverage of the lens can be. Two lenses with rather opposite behavior are the Dagor and the four element air spaced type sometimes called a Dyalite, the Goerz Dogmar and Apochromatic Artar being examples. In the Dyalite the two fields deviate very rapidly after coming together (the point is called the stigmatic node) so the image quality beyond this point becomes very blurred regardless of the stop. In the Dagor the fields deviate very slowly beyond the stigmatic node so the lens can cover tremendous angles if stopped down enough. In the case of the Dagor coverage will extend to close to 90 degrees at f/45, but of course, the resolution is much poorer than it would be for say a 55 degree "normal" coverage at a much larger stop. I am sure this is all much more than anyone wants to know but is still not complete for the effects of all aberrations.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles