[rollei_list] Re: OT / prove it !

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:15:23 -0800

Marc,

Tell that to the thousands of PJs and Pros who are using zooms. And
for the record, the new zooms are every bit as good as many fixed
focal lengths.
Again, YOU may feel otherwise, but you do not use your cameras
professionally now do you? So the 50mm may suit your needs.

Peter K

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:26:00 -0500, Marc James Small
<msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 04:32 PM 3/30/05 -0800, Peter K. wrote:
>=20
> >If you like an M6 that is fine. Others may not, so what you may call
> >utilitarian, I call cumbersome and inflexible.  Let me know how well
> >your M does when you need to use a zoom lens, or better yet when you
> >want to use a 24mm F1.4. Oh yes, there are 50mm F1 lenses on SLRs, and
> >also 85mm F1.2. compared to your 75mm F1.4. Plus you get to see what
> >you are shooting as opposed to estimate through partial viewfinder
> >windows.
>=20
> Peter
>=20
> Pray, do not be insulting:  whyever would ANY photographer of quality wis=
> to use a zoom lens?  This sort of trash is for the P&S crew and not for
> serious photographers.  (And, yes, my digital P&S has a zoom lens but I
> hardly regard that camera as a statement for high-quality photography.)
>=20
> However, there ARE zoom lenses which can be fitted to RF cameras though
> they are not common.  (Any M42 zoom can certaily be fitted to a Lecia bod=
y,
> for instance, though this would require zone focussing.)
>=20
> I am no fan of anything wider than 50mm as this is the realm of that In
> Your Face Photography style I really detest. However, when I wish to make=
> wideangle shot, I generally use the 4.5/21 Zeiss Biogon with its finder.
> DOF is really not a problem.  In the alternative, I can use my 5.6/20
> Russar MR-2.
>=20
> Marc
>=20