[rollei_list] Re: OT / prove it !

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:23:55 -0500

Hi Peter,

> ...so what you may call
> utilitarian, I call cumbersome and inflexible.

I had to read that twice.  I wasn't sure if you were describing yourself or
the camera ;-)

> Let me know how well
> your M does when you need to use a zoom lens...

I have yet, in some 30+ years of photography every *NEEDED* a zoom lense.

> or better yet when you
> want to use a 24mm F1.4.

If I want to use a 24/1.4, I use my Canon.

> Oh yes, there are 50mm F1 lenses on SLRs...

There are?  Who makes them?  Canon doesn't list any 50/1.0 in their EF line
on their web site.  I have a number of 1.2s, but never seen a 1.0 for an
SLR.

> ...and
> also 85mm F1.2. compared to your 75mm F1.4.

Well, the 75/1.4 has a quality all unto it self that I have yet to see
duplicated by any SLR lense, and I have the Canon 85/1.2 L (and the
Contax/Zeiss 85/1.4), though both superb lenses, there is a distinct visual
difference in bokeh.

> Plus you get to see what
> you are shooting as opposed to estimate through partial viewfinder
> windows.

Well, not unless the SLR has a %100 viewfinder...and in a rangefinder, you
do see %100 of what you are shooting...there is no estimate...I'm not sure
where you got that from.  The only thing I'll say is close in, you do get a
slight clipping with certain lenses, which has not been a real issue.

> Thanks but no thanks, I will stick to my SLRs and of course TLRs.

For this, simply washing your hands would probably help considerably.

Regards,

Austin