[rollei_list] Re: OT / prove it !

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:48:24 -0500

Much of the fuss over Leicas is:

1.  Often it is easier to make certain kinds of photographs with it
than with SLRs.  Rangefinder focusing is much more precise than TLR,
especially important with wide angle lenses, wide apertures and under
low light conditions.  Where discretion is necessary, a Leica shutter
sound is quiet, enough to be the courtroom standard in venues where
photography is permitted.  It is the best made of current RF cameras
and its lenses are first rate.  It's good equipment for photographers
who like to work "life as she is lived."

2.  Some photographers prefer direct framing through a viewfinder to
composing on a screen image.  This is something that matters to those
to whom it matters.

3.  Mechanically, they are sweet and exist in sufficient variations
plus accessories to attract connoisseurs and collectors.

Good photographs can be made with many different types of cameras, but
for applications some are better than others.

Allen Zak