[rollei_list] Re: OT / prove it !

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:00:12 -0500

Hi Fred,

> I know this is a Rollei list, but people here seems to own quite a lot
> of gear...
>
> Here is my question : why all this fuss regarding leicas ? Because it
> produces better pictures ? Then please, show me examples of pictures
> that one cannot make with any SLR and a good fast lens...

Well, "one" can make pictures with just about any camera...that works.  What
the quality of that picture is, though certainly subjective, is certainly
questionable.  BTW, Leica makes SLRs as well.

Like Rolleis, Leica M's are VERY quiet cameras, and do in fact make some
pictures "easier" than with a wham/bam/slam SLR.  They also do have some
very nice lenses, that have rather nice OOF (out of focus, typically called
"bokeh") rendering.  Also, some people prefer the rangefinder type of
framing/focusing for certain types of work.

If you have never tried one, which I take it you have not, then I can
understand your reticence to believe there is anything "special" about them,
but they are the highest quality rangefinder available, and the pictures are
easily on par with any SLR out there...so it's really a matter of
preference, and for some they are rather "special", whether others believe
it or not.

Regards,

Austin