[rollei_list] Re: OT / prove it !

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:26:00 -0500

At 04:32 PM 3/30/05 -0800, Peter K. wrote:

>If you like an M6 that is fine. Others may not, so what you may call
>utilitarian, I call cumbersome and inflexible.  Let me know how well
>your M does when you need to use a zoom lens, or better yet when you
>want to use a 24mm F1.4. Oh yes, there are 50mm F1 lenses on SLRs, and
>also 85mm F1.2. compared to your 75mm F1.4. Plus you get to see what
>you are shooting as opposed to estimate through partial viewfinder
>windows.

Peter

Pray, do not be insulting:  whyever would ANY photographer of quality wish
to use a zoom lens?  This sort of trash is for the P&S crew and not for
serious photographers.  (And, yes, my digital P&S has a zoom lens but I
hardly regard that camera as a statement for high-quality photography.)

However, there ARE zoom lenses which can be fitted to RF cameras though
they are not common.  (Any M42 zoom can certaily be fitted to a Lecia body,
for instance, though this would require zone focussing.)

I am no fan of anything wider than 50mm as this is the realm of that In
Your Face Photography style I really detest. However, when I wish to make a
wideangle shot, I generally use the 4.5/21 Zeiss Biogon with its finder.
DOF is really not a problem.  In the alternative, I can use my 5.6/20
Russar MR-2.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx=20
Cha robh b=E0s fir gun ghr=E0s fir!