[rollei_list] Re: OT Re: Scanning 120 film

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 09:12:28 -0600

Hi Eric,

> Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 09:04:36 -0500
> From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Neil -
>
> Thanks for clarifying your point and yes, some software can enhance
> speed and automate processes. Different software has different
> strengths and weaknesses in this realm...
>
> However I am still confused by your previous reference to getting the
> best possible out of a scanner with certain software or work flows.
> Producing half tones for reduced res print or reduced res images on
> the web are generally not anywhere near the most demanding
> applications for a scanner; in fact they are two examples of some of
> the least demanding uses, and any number of different scanners and
> work flow approaches can get you where you need to be...

I'm not certain what the source of your confusion might be, as you have
summed up the matter rather well. For reduced res print and web, several
flatbed scanners will provide adequate results and a much faster workflow,
which is what lead to my original statement about a user's needs being
below the capabilities of a Nikon 8000/9000 or Microtek 120tf. So, I
advocate that one select a scanner based on the requirements of the work
to be done.

Using dedicated film scanners is an unavoidably slow process compared to a
flatbed and low resolution output. It makes little sense to me to spend
that time and wind up with compromised results due to llimitations of
methods such as scanning directly into Photoshop.

Regards,

Neil