[rollei_list] Re: New to the list

  • From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 22:45:58 -0400

Jan,
Thanks for the note.
It's nice to know others feel the same way about the joys of film and developing it.

Doug

On Jul 25, 2010, at 9:38 PM, Jan Decher wrote:

Doug et al.,

I used a Jobo for three decades but have finally switched to a Kinderman tank with a Honeywell-Nikor reel. Still using an adjustable (35mm - 120) Honeywell-Nikor crank reel loader though, which helps to generate smooth turns, while I bend and feed the film onto the reel.

I agree, there is nothing like seeing your negatives for the first time since "pressing the button" when you take the reel out of the tank. I also lke the physicalness of the strip of negs, as I cut it into sections of three and label archive them in PrintFile pages.

It's very different than the instant gratification of the digital image. Of course, it is nice nowadays that you can scan the negatives and critically examine them on the screen before choosing some for the enlarger.

Jan

From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
I use Jobo plastic reels. I don't find them to be the best design. Thin 120 has a tendency to get stuck in them. The support beams on the reels
sides provide spots for the film to grab and cause problems. When that
happens, I use a reel, again plastic, which has a 3/4 inch lead on it.
They are the best reels. I never have a problem loading them. Trouble
is, they don't fit in the Jobo tanks and I enjoy having the machine's
consistency and labor to assist in developing film.
When an errant roll of film causes me trouble, I go back to developing
by hand and have no problems.
I still love developing film. I enjoy it tremendously. One of the great
moments in life for me is when I take the film out of the tank and see
what I have.
I have tried metal reels, but have not fallen in love with them.
Someone lent me a 35mm  Hewes reel recently. I'll give it a try soon
and see how it goes.
Doug

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org