[rollei_list] Re: New to the list

  • From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 12:09:28 -0400

I use Jobo plastic reels. I don't find them to be the best design. Thin 120 has a tendency to get stuck in them. The support beams on the reels sides provide spots for the film to grab and cause problems. When that happens, I use a reel, again plastic, which has a 3/4 inch lead on it. They are the best reels. I never have a problem loading them. Trouble is, they don't fit in the Jobo tanks and I enjoy having the machine's consistency and labor to assist in developing film. When an errant roll of film causes me trouble, I go back to developing by hand and have no problems.

I still love developing film. I enjoy it tremendously. One of the great moments in life for me is when I take the film out of the tank and see what I have.

I have tried metal reels, but have not fallen in love with them.

Someone lent me a 35mm Hewes reel recently. I'll give it a try soon and see how it goes.

Doug