[rollei_list] Re: New to the list

  • From: Jeff Kelley <jlkphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:29:55 -0700

Even though I wrote about buying only the Pro Hewes reels (which I own
along with Kindermann SS tanks) it doesn't mean I always use them.
*IF* one is buying Hewes reels, buy the Pro, however.  The lower end
models are junk like most stainless reels.

 Since 1970 I've used Paterson plastic reels and tanks, JOBO plastic
reels and tanks and Kodacraft plastic aprons & thanks.  I also have
35mm and 120 plastic aprons from Freestyle Photo.

If you've not used plastic aprons you're missing the easiest, fastest
way to develop film.  Once the film is wound into the lasagna-like
roll of plastic, it can go into any stainless steel or plastic tank.

Use whatever works!  I got 2 new old stock Kodacraft tanks w/aprons,
never used, on ebay for 99 cents.  The shipping was $10.

As Jerry Friedman wrote to me privately years ago:
"There is one downside to using an apron. It is VERY declasse.
EVERYONE, after all, uses a metal tank and spiral
reel. Using an apron is sooooo.........amatuerish.   :>) "

Have fun developing film.  Who cares how?

Jeff Kelley