[rollei_list] Re: 2.8FX shutter cock and film advance 'synchronisation'

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:27:14 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: <chatanooga@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 5:56 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: 2.8FX shutter cock and film advance 'synchronisation'

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I would have certainly aligned the arrows
correctly. I should emphasise too that out of the 3 rolls that I shot 2 were
fine. Will obviously be trying a few more rolls (taking care to crank to
the click) but I think my question may well have been better phrased by
asking is the procedure for next frame advance 'idiot proof' - assuming what
I have described is normal behaviour then it is not. And thats fair enough!

I am not sure of the winding and metering arrangement in the FX. In a Rolleicord or Standard Rolleiflex the start position is determined either by the arrows or by a red window where the numeral 1 is set. The metering is done by a lever with a toothed wheel on it. The displacement of the lever is what controls the spacing. This is also true of the Rolleiflex. If the start mark is misaligned it should affect only the position of the first frame, not frame spacing.
Some auto-stop cameras do not meter the film, they assume an average increase in diameter of the take up spool as the film is wound. Examples are the roll film adaptors for Graphic and Graflex cameras. I think the Ikonta and Super-Ikonta also use this system. On these mis-setting the start mark may result in the spacing becoming progressively wider or narrower but in no case will it result in an overlap or a large variation from frame to frame.
Even though this is a relatively new camera I still think something is cocked up in the wind mechinism.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx