[pythian] CODE - sorting, models, transparency

  • From: "kk" <krauspe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:17:55 +0200

> The next release is on the web site.  I was unable to announce this
> before because I couldn't post to the list.  It has maps from Ariel and
> Aaron, both of which are very good to look at (and high poly).  Aaron's
> map has some transparency for the trees, which introduces sorting issues
> we'll fix later.  Enjoy.

I haven't checked the release... are the trees models or static map
geometry?

For the case they are models, I will now explain my ideas about that.

Darryl, what about a BSP tree representation of model. The model geometry
would be sorted and exported to the model in form a BSP tree and this would
make it easy to sort it runtime. The compilation would be easy. First
polygons would be created and processed into BSP tree. Than they would be
localy tristrippified in each plane... but I mean that just for the
tranparent polys. That means... the solid geometry of the model would be
stored and drawn the same way as we do now... but the (semi/fully)
transparent polys would be processed and saved in form of BSP tree... what
about that? I think I know the answer (because I know what you think about
BSP trees)... anyway... it is a good idea, isn't it? Please agree!!! Thank
you!!! ;)

-kk