[pythian] Re: CODE - sorting, models, transparency

  • From: "kk" <krauspe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 08:53:03 +0200

> However, couldn't we just sort the models in back-to-front order and
> draw them with alpha-write turned off?  Would that resolve issues of
> self-transparency or would it just looked really weird?  I think maybe
> it would just look weird, but I thought I'd mention it.

we could just render them classic way with all solid geometry in a gl list
and all transparent geometry in back to front order... all alpha settings
should be normal. I have used this for rendering transparent map geometry in
phase1... do you remember?

> Don't go doing any work on this yet.  I want to rewrite the model format
> anyway to support multiple LODs.  Maybe someone else could do it.  As
> soon as you are finished with the lightmaps we're going to start working
> on the net implementation.

there are some good papers about dynamic lod... I am not thinking about
using DLOD models right in the engine but about using DLOD mechanism in
converter tool. This tool should save all lods same way as mipmaps are
saved.

> BTW, do you need me to change the strip code to only generate planar
> strips or have you done this already?

I have already done it. Also multiplanar panel lists work now very
well...hmm... they aren't processed as single bucket but each triangle
generates a bucket.

-kk