[pure-silver] Re: photography teachers top 3

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 12:05:43 -0400

Wait till you move up to 11x14  ;)

Cheers,
Bogdan

Sauerwald Mark wrote:

I find that I have been pretty consistent with getting
about one good image per 80 square inches of film
shot.  Usually when shooting 35mm I like about one
frame per roll, when shooting 120, I end up liking one
frame per roll, and with 4x5 about 1 in four is a
keeper.  I am thinking of going to 8x10 so that I
never take any bad shots any more!

--- nicolas <nicolas3141@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have noticed that amongst the people in my
classes,
they often complain upon arrival that they get very
few good shots per film and would like to improve
the
ratio.  After I have finished with them the changes
are that they firstly shoot more and secondly impose
higher standards on themselves.  The net result is
that they still only get a few good shots, but they
throw away even more.  On the whole I think my
classes
may cause them to reduce that good/bad ratio rather
than improve it.

Cheers,
Nicolas

--- Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Theres a quote I like from someone called Harrison
which I misremember from the leica manual:
"Proficiency in small format photography comes

from

practice not expenditure"
Another one which gives me much solace is from
Robert Doisneau "The first 10,000 photographs will
not be particularly good..."
And finally from Feynman: "Why should you care

what

somebody else thinks".

Personally I tend to ignore the first and think

that

with just one more piece of kit will do it, one

the

second quote I'm convinced that he got a decimal
place wrong and I have high hopes that I'll start
getting good results around the 100,000 photograph
mark, and as for the last I remain consistently
astonished at which of my photographs other people
like. In this context I think an interesting
exercise is to hand a bunch of photographs to
someone else and as they go through them note

which

ones they pause on for longer than five seconds.

All the best
Larry Cuffe

www.freelists.org and logon to your account (the
same e-mail address and password you set-up when

you

http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

  Bogdan Karasek
  Montréal, Québec                     bogdan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx