[pure-silver] Re: photography teachers top 3

  • From: Janet Cull <jcull@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 16:44:12 -0400

I was a teenager once.  Can I submit something?  :o)

On May 3, 2007, at 8:36 PM, hankpix@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello Everyone,
I'm a retired English teacher who is currently writing a textbook titled 125 Photos and Story Starters for English Composition Classes. The purpose of this work is to use B/W photos to help students write better composition. Although most of the photos in the text will be mine, I'm planning to use many images taken by teenage photographers. If you If you are involved with teenagers and photography, and if you would like to learn how your students can participate in this exciting project, please contact me off list with the words Photos by Teenagers in the subject line.
Thank you,
Hank Kellner

 Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All these are particularly good. I have two assignments that I use from time to time that fall into much of what many of you have said.

Assignment 1. Use an entire roll of film using only the 50mm focal length (for 35mm) Roll two can be any focal length you want, but it must be the same for the entire next roll. I actually prefer to use full rolls, but sometimes its the first half and second half of the same roll. It makes one use the feet rather than just to tell them to use their feet.

Assignment 2 Set the camera to manual. The assignment is to pay no attention to the light meter in the camera. All settings are to be done by estimates based on the information on the box, (remember when that was about all one had in many cases) Its purpose is not that they students can look and tell the difference between an f 11 and an f8. The goal is to get them thinking about light. Ive found that when they start thinking about what they have to set on the dials, it by nature makes them think about other qualities of light which is the whole point.

nicolas <nicolas3141@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have noticed that amongst the people in my classes,
they often complain upon arrival that they get very
few good shots per film and would like to improve the
ratio. After I have finished with them the changes
are that they firstly shoot more and secondly impose
higher standards on themselves. The net result is
that they still only get a few good shots, but they
throw away even more. On the whole I think my classes
may cause them to reduce that good/bad ratio rather
than improve it.

Cheers,
Nicolas

--- Laurence Cuffe wrote:

> Theres a quote I like from someone called Harrison
> which I misremember from the leica manual:
> "Proficiency in small format photography comes from
> practice not expenditure"
> Another one which gives me much solace is from
> Robert Doisneau "The first 10,000 photographs will
> not be particularly good..."
> And finally from Feynman: "Why should you care what
> somebody else thinks".
>
> Personally I tend to ignore the first and think that
> with just one more piece of kit will do it, one the
> second quote I'm convinced that he got a decimal
> place wrong and I have high hopes that I'll start
> getting good results around the 100,000 photograph
> mark, and as for the last I remain consistently
> astonished at which of my photographs other people
> like. In this context I think an interesting
> exercise is to hand a bunch of photographs to
> someone else and as they go through them note which
> ones they pause on for longer than five seconds.
>
> All the best
> Larry Cuffe

> >To unsubscribe from this list, go to
> www.freelists.org and logon to your account (the
> same e-mail address and password you set-up when you

Send instant messages to your online friends http:// au.messenger.yahoo.com ====================================================================== ======================================= To unsubscribe from this list, go to www.freelists.org and logon to your account (the same e-mail address and password you set-up when you subscribed,) and unsubscribe from there.

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.