[pure-silver] Re: light for viewing prints

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 14:31:38 -0600

Once I saw a Lenswork CD with a video tour of John Sexton's darkroom, and he talked about that. I think he put a white paper on the place in his darkroom where he was going to judge wet prints, and read the EV off the paper, and moved the light until the EV was right, but now I can't remember what the EV was! And I can't find the CD.

--shannon

On Nov 6, 2007, at 1:22 PM, Russ Gorman wrote:

Shannon Stoney wrote:

What is a "normal" light to look at prints under, when you're judging darkness, contrast, etc?

There is ( or was ) a standard viewing level when printing, that was supposed to match the preferred gallery light level for art viewing. I think I have an old encyclopedia of photography around here somewhere with it listed. You can simply take a light meter and measure the level and adjust your light to match. I will try to find it, if no one else weighs in with the recommended level.

It's really good to measure and maintain a standard level for yourself, so as you change darkrooms or light bulbs, viewing lamps, or whatever, you can be consistent. When someone needs a lighter or darker print it's then much easier to know which way you are going.