[pure-silver] Re: light for viewing prints

  • From: Russ Gorman <rusty57@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 11:22:28 -0800

Shannon Stoney wrote:

What is a "normal" light to look at prints under, when you're judging darkness, contrast, etc?

There is ( or was ) a standard viewing level when printing, that was supposed to match the preferred gallery light level for art viewing. I think I have an old encyclopedia of photography around here somewhere with it listed. You can simply take a light meter and measure the level and adjust your light to match. I will try to find it, if no one else weighs in with the recommended level.

It's really good to measure and maintain a standard level for yourself, so as you change darkrooms or light bulbs, viewing lamps, or whatever, you can be consistent. When someone needs a lighter or darker print it's then much easier to know which way you are going.